Thursday, November 29, 2012

failure to print


Ya’ll. Today, a miracle happened.

No, two thousand dollars did not miraculously materialize in my bank account. No, I did not bound away from beneath a bolt of lightning. And no, I didn’t receive the perfect package from the unexpected friend at the time when I needed it most. My miracle was… well, a little less miraculous than that.

In my office at work, I have a little printer. I call him Floyd. Floyd is super great. Except, he doesn’t like to print. Which is totally fine, I get it. It’s a tiring job. But when you’re a printer… and you don’t print... things get sticky. Well, when Floyd is being chancy and cumbersome, I get this malevolent little message pop-up at the bottom of my Dell Desktop:


I hate that message. Because when that memo pops up, I know I have to reprint the page and send it to the printer all the way in the copy room. But what that really means is that I have to walk… all the way to the copy room. Granted, it’s probably 30 steps away. Give or take a few depending on the shoes I am wearing. But still. It’s not far. And I get to say hello to my sweet secretary, Tanner, on my way. But. As an event planner, I print a lot. I print invite examples, post blueprints, guest lists, catering confirmations, event photo directories, etc. You get it. So I walk those 30 steps… a lot.

After having this Floyd character forever fail me, I just quit trying. I gave up. And the dust collected on my HP Laser Jet P2015.

Well tonight, I was the only one in the office & I was feeling adventurous and maybe even audacious. So I turned my grooveshark playlist up really loud. The sound dial was half-way up. Man, I was jamming; I was practically at the Johnny Flynn concert. In fact, I was actually performing the concert to all my eagerly listening staplers, tape dispensers, and candy canes.

And you know, I decided to just try out my office printer. I waited for the “Failed to Print” memo to pop up. But it didn’t. I heard the unfamiliar noise of my printer starting to run. The slide of the paper through the ink filled cartilages. Wut. This isn’t real. Floyd just printed Mat Duerden’s registration form to the Publish & Flourish workshop on January 24, 2013. For me. He did it. All on his own. Just for me.

What a guy, that Floyd.


Sometimes, you just need the little things. 
& that's my miracle. 


1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it is late at night... and I read every single one of your blog posts. Just sometimes. And you know what?
    It makes me think. This girl is awesome. I hope we can be friends before she goes to China, while she's in China and when she gets back. You're brilliant! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete